Welcome to my website. I’m the Regional District Director for Electoral Area B (Gabriola, DeCourcy, Mudge Islands).
After you read this, you can click the tabs in the menu bar above to locate information on specific RDN topics. But first, here are a few things about me:
I am a longtime resident of Gabriola Island (40 years) — a self-employed potter by profession and by passion — a mountain biker and kayaker.
My wife and I reside in our owner designed and owner built home on our acreage at 1070 North Road where our Earth Fire and Tears Pottery studio is also located.
Previous to serving as a Regional Director I had many community service opportunities and participated in various projects and organizations. Here’s a brief summary.
- 1980 – volunteer construction work on the building of the community hall;
- mid 1980′s – we were going to lose our ambulance, I answered the call to be trained as part-time paramedic, took the training and served for 18 months.
- 1980′s Gabriola 4 H Horse Club sponsor (ongoing)
- 1990′s -served 3 terms as President of the Gabriola Agricultural Association
- 1994 – Chairman of the Acquisitions Committee of the Gabriola Museum – served for 3 years
- 2001- Director of the Gabriola Rod, Gun and Conservation Club (GRGCC) – served 2 years
- 2003 – Vice President of the GRGCC – served 2 years
- 2004 – 2010 – Assistant Coordinator of the Youth Program for the GRGCC
- 2006 – Vice Chairman of the Advisory Planning Commission (APC) for Islands Trust
- 2008 – 2011 Chairman of Islands Trust Advisory Planning Commission (APC) for 5 years.
I aam also an ongiong member of:
- Gabriola Chamber of Commerce
- From Truth to Reconciliation
- Gabriola Agricultural Association
- Gabriola Foundation
- Gabriola Economic Development Advisory Group (EDAG)
- Gabriola Arts Council
Since my election to RDN Director Electoral Area B office I have served and currently continue to serve on the following committees:
- RDN Board Executive Committee
- RDN Solid Waste Management Select Committee (SWMSC)
- Snuneymuxw First Nation Working Protocol Committee
- Vancouver Island Regional Library Board (VIRL)
- Vancouver Island Regional Library Board (VIRL) Executive Committee
- Chair of the RDN Parks and Open Space Advisory Committee Area B (POSAC)
- Chair of the Regional Parks and Trails Select Committee (RPTSC)
- Chair of the RDN Agricultural Advisory Committee (AAC)
- City of Nanaimo Parks Recreation and Wellness Committee
I’ve always had an interest in environmental issues, and local and regional politics. I’m well-informed on local and regional issues as I attend RDN, Parks and Open Spaces Advisory Commission, Islands Trust, and APC meetings, as well as meetings of other local organizations.
I’m a strong supporter of local initiatives aimed at self-sufficiency, waste reduction and improving protection of natural amenities. Affordable living, food security, water sustainability and conservation, parks, trails and wildlife conservation areas, improving public access to the waterfront, and preserving sites of environmental, historical, and social importance are extremely important issues for island communities. Grass roots organizations can and do change the world one backyard at a time.
Gabriola Groundwater Management Society, Gabriola Island Recycling Organization, The Gabriola Commons, Peope for a Healthy Community, Gabriola Land and Trails Trust, Parks and Open Spaces Advisory Committee, The Gabriola Island Chamber of Commerce, are just some of our local change-makers whose ongoing work is vital to our community.
With a single vote out of a total of 17 votes a Regional Director must be capable of working well with others within the democratic process and Regional District struture. I’m a communicator who strongly supports the democratic process. I also support widespread public consultation on all regional issues.
I love the islands and recognize what a precious legacy for future generations they are. I know the decisions we make today is what that inheritance will be and I want to play an active role in the process of shaping that future.
I’m an outgoing and approachable person. Though I am well-known to many islanders, I’d like to get to know others so I can listen to their ideas and opinions too. As well as being factually focused and solution orientated, I’m an unbiased person who has a history of fair-mindedness in decision-making.
I hope you will take the time to read what’s on my website knowing I welcome your feedback. My News & Views page is an archives index containing links in reverse chronological order to all articles published on this site.
If you would like to contact me regarding RDN issues, please use my contact form and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
Thank you for your visit.